- Blood Tests and Immunity Tests
- Child Developmental Service From Birth to 18 Years of Age
- Cosmetic Treatments
- Immunisations/ Vaccinations and Injections
- Functional Medicine & Nutrition
- Health Checks
- Integrated Therapies
- Mental Health
- Occupational Health Services
- Sexual Health
- Travel Immunisations
- CQC Registration
Private General Practice provide a wide range of key medical services as follows:
Functional Medicine & Nutrition
Here at PrivateGP we provide cutting edge services in Functional Medicine with the most up to date biochemical tests, which can measure the levels of chemicals in your body to determine exactly which nutrients and foods you need to take to heal. We are one of the very few places in the UK to provide such a service and are pioneering the way for future medicine in this way.
Our functional medicine services include some of the most advanced test available. If you are interested in these services you can read more about them via the links in this text or elsewhere on the website or you can book an appointment or make an enquiry by calling 0116 270 0373
Functional Medicine is a personalized approach for patients, dealing with the primary prevention and underlying causes of Chronic Disease. It is a science-based field of health care. It involves a full understanding of the biochemistry of the body and allows us to understand fully your body chemistry right down to it’s genes. This can be used along side traditional medicine to diagnose and treat a wide variety of symptoms and illnesses. Functional medicine gets to the root of the problem and can help in all kinds of situations, and in some cases as an alternative to drug based therapy.
Are You At Risk?
Research estimates that 70-90% of the risk of Chronic Diseases can be attributed to lifestyle. This means that what you eat, how you exercise, what your spiritual practises are, and how much stress you have in your life, may increase your risk of Chronic Disease.
Common Chronic Diseases
Diet, overweight, lack of exercise and smoking account for over 70% of stroke and colon cancer, 80% of coronary heart disease, and over 90% of adult-onset diabetes.(Willet,WC.Science,2002:296,695-697)
How Do We Use Functional Medicine In Order To Help Our Patients?
We integrate science, research, and clinical insights to treat and prevent disease and maintain a healthy lifestyle for our patients.
Therapeutics and Prevention Strategies include:
- Dietary and Activity Changes
- Targeted Nutrients
- Encouraging You to be in charge of Improving Your Own Health
- Detoxification Strategies
- Physical Medicine Intervention Programme
- Stress Management Programmes
- Greater Feelings of Well Being
- Improved Physical Health
- Helps Prevent and Treat Illnesses More Successfully
- Feeling more energetic
- Combines very well with Drug Based Therapy
- Supports you to Facilitate Life Changes
- Is Specific to Your Body
- Gives you a Healthier Heart and Digestive System
- Provides Excellent Results especially for Chronic Illnesses
All conditions can be treated with functional medicine. This is because functional medicine looks at the mechanisms by which illnesses are produced. All of these underlying mechanisms can therefore be supported alongside traditional medicine where appropriate, to heal underlying roots of disease, illness and symptoms.
Conditions that are treatable with functional medicine:
- Pregnancy Complications
- Child Development Complications
- Obesity and fussy eating or poor eating
- Obesity Management
- Lipid Disorders
- Endocrinological problems
- Chronic Fatique Symptoms
- Gastroenterological problems
- Rheumotological Problems
- Sleep Disorders
- Sports Nutrition
- Weight Loss
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- And any neurological symptoms and signs that have no obvious cause or medical label
The functional medicine tests help us to devise, with you, the means to help your body biochemistry help to heal itself. Tests are also helpful in enabling us to devise a nutritious diet suitable for your body and to provide you with vitamin, mineral, omega and other supplements, thus giving you the best chance of staying fit and healthy for longer!
Functional Medicine tests can be used to test for:
- Food Allergies
- Homocysteine levels (factors affecting your heart and how prone you are to illness)
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Amino Acid deficiencies
- Mineral and Micronutrient deficiencies
- Omega and Fish Oil deficiencies
- Bowel Tests
- Full Biochemistry Analysis
- Electrolyte deficiencies
- Gut Permeability
- Microbiome balances in the gut
- Microbiome imbalances retro-nasally
- Digestive problems e.g. SIBO or SIFO
- Gut wall mucinous layer clues (e.g. secretory IGA)
- Genetic testing, especially including:
- coeliac disease
- detoxification processes
- lyme and mold illnesses
- post lyme syndrome
- HRT detoxification
- APOE Dementia associated gene type
- Heavy metals
- Deficiency of energy ATP production through mitochondria
- Infections (particularly chronic stealth infections for example lyme disease, other bacteria, viruses and moulds. Note the presence of mould is found in 30% of people with dementia).
- Detailed fatty acids balance in the body (Remember that the brain is 60% fat and that fat lines every membrane or tube in the body. It also lines your cells and therefore multiple processes cannot happen properly including cell connectivity if fatty acids are out of balance).
- Hormones (these are examined in depth to include those of the HPA axis, the sex hormones including testosterone, oestrogen and progesterone, DHEA, pregnenalone; thyroid hormones & those hormones impacted by chronic inflammation (ADH, MSH)).
- Auto immune tests which can predate illness by 10 years and allow us to prevent illness.
- Gluten metabolites & cross reactions with other grains.
- Organic acids (to help assess multiple processes in the body. This is particularly useful in complex neurological cases and in autism).
Please contact us for more detailed information for each test.
Good nutrition and diet are also vital in the fight to help keep our bodies fit and healthy. As the saying goes ‘We are what we eat’, so knowing what to eat and what not to eat are essential to a healthy lifestyle. Many of us however lack a healthy diet and are deficient in vitamins and minerals, or even have allergies which we may have known nothing about!
We are able to advise you on a very practical level with healthy menus and diets and offer a diet sheet review and advice service by referral from the practice doctors (see downloadable form below). If you are seeking advice for a physical or mental complaint we would usually advise you to have an initial consultation with Dr Julia Piper to discuss your medical history, any potential underlying illnesses as well your particular nutritional issues. Our doctor will undertake whatever tests are appropriate and then refer you to suitable nutritionists.
The doctor will discuss the kind of diets that are available and how they impact you, including:
- Standard western
- Paleo diet
- Ketogenic diet
- Vegan diet
- Paleo Keto diet
- Diets to exclude allergies
- Low fat diet
- Vegetarian diet
- “Membrane diet “
- 5/2 fasting diet
- GAPS diet
- Autoimmune diet
- and there may be others
Please click the link below to download a copy of our Nutrition Questionnaire.
Dr. Mark Hyman says a diet rich in a rainbow of colourful plant foods comes...28/01/2019
We partner with a lot of interesting, unique people here at PrivateGP. One of those people...08/12/2018
A recent article on SkyNews highlights the debilitating effects of lyme disease on your quality...12/09/2018