Pins and Needles
Pins and needles occurs in two forms, chronic and temporary. Most people have temporary pins and needles which is when you cut off the blood supply to your nerves such as when you sleep on an arm and wake up having cut off the blood supply. However if you have chronic then you will need to be diagnosed and treated for an underlying condition which may cause it.
Chronic pins and needles means that the pins and needles have occurred for a sustained period of time. It can occur in many parts of the body and can be a sign of underlying conditions such as:
- stroke, brain tumor, multiple scherosis
- a congitive disease like rheumatoid arthritis
- a metabloic disease like diabetes
- a disease of the blood vesseles like Raynaud’s syndrome
- vitmain B12 deficiancy
- medications like chemotherapy
- toxic substances like lead or radiation
If you have chronic pins and needles then you will have to have a diagnosis by a doctor where the doctor will carry out a past medical history examination, and carry out a pysical examination which may include:
- a nerve or muscle biopsy, where a sample of nerve or tissue is obtained and analyzed
- a CT Scan, which provides detailed images of the inside of the body
- chemical analysis of urine
- blood tests
Treatment will depend on the condition you are diagnosed with.